In Spain, the DGT office manages the entire process of obtaining the Spanish driving license. If you need to exchange your driver’s license to a Spanish one, you need to address to DGT and they will give you all the information. The headquarter is placed in Madrid, but there are some offices around the all country. Googlemaps
- Member States of the EU/EEA (Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein)
- Non-EU countries (Andorra, Korea, Japan, Switzerland, and Monaco)
- Countries with an agreement with Spain
- Diplomats in Spain
- Military or police authority
- Professional drivers non-EU countries without an agreement
- Special authorization to drive vehicles transporting dangerous goods issued by military schools and agencies and the Directorate General of Police and Civil Guard
Applicants for exchanges of driving licenses from the EU/EEA and from countries with an agreement need to make an appointment here.
Exchange of driving licenses issued in Member States of the EU and those belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA: Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein)
– PDF with all the information: English, French, German
– Registration of the driving license of countries of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway: English, French, German
– Replacing the driving license: English, French, German
– Application Form: Spanish
Exchange of driving licenses issued in non-EU countries (Andorra, Korea, Japan, Switzerland, and Monaco)
Exchange of driving licenses of countries with an agreement
ATTENTION: Due to technical problems outside the DGT, the admission of Venezuelan driver’s license exchange requests is temporarily paralyzed. The requested appointments will be processed until June 11 of permits in plastic card format. It will be announced when the service will be expanded.
Exchange of driving licenses for accredited diplomats in Spain
(This is translated by me because there’s only information in Spanish).
The members of the Diplomatic Missions, of the Consular Offices and of the international organizations with headquarters or office in Spain, of non-EU countries accredited in Spain, as well as their family, provided that they hold an equivalent permit, may obtain any of the driving permits provided for in the General Drivers Regulations, without paying a fee or carrying out the corresponding theoretical and practical aptitude tests, on condition of reciprocity.
– Application in an official form that is provided in the Provincial and Local Traffic Headquarters.
– Identity card or passport.
– Psychophysical aptitude report, issued by an authorized Driver Recognition Center of the province where the procedure is requested, to which an updated photograph of the applicant will be attached.
– Updated photograph of 32 x 26 mm. In the case of applicants who, due to their religion, have their hair covered, photographs with a veil will be admitted, the only limitation being their admission, that the oval of the face be completely discovered from the hairline to the chin, so that prevents or hinders the identification of the person.
– Justification of being holders of a valid driving license equivalent to the one they request, accompanied by the corresponding official translation thereof if it is not written in Spanish.
The request will be sent to the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs which, after checking that the requirements are met, will send it, together with the required documentation, within one month to the Provincial Traffic Office of Madrid for processing.